February 19, 2022
Business & Industry
The Global Poker Index Awards took place at the Aria last night, celebrating poker and the people who make it one of the world’s best games.
The 2021 GPI Player of the Year Ali Imsirovic was the big winner, taking home three awards, but many deserving players, poker personalities, and industry members got their due for the work they put in last year.
“Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think this was possible,” Imsirovic said in his acceptance speech. “To win the title of Player of the Year from one of the most prestigious live ranking systems that we have in the industry, it feels surreal. I couldn’t even describe the shock and disbelief my 18 year-old self would have.”
The full broadcast can be found here.
And the winners:
- GPI Poker Player of the Year — Ali Imsirovic
- PokerGO Tour Player of the Year — Ali Imsirovic
- GPI Female Player of the Year — Nadya Magnus
- GPI Mid-Major Player of the Year — David Mzareulov
- Best Tournament Director — Paul Campbell
- Charitable Initiate Award — Veronica Brill
- Best Final Table Performance — Adam Friedman
- Twitter Personality — Jamie Kerstetter
- Best Media Content: Photo — Enrique Malfavon
- Fans Choice: Best Trophy — Mike Sexton WPT Champions Cup
- Services to Poker — Kevin Mathers
- Best Live Reporter — Christian Zetzsche
- Best Media Content: Written — Lance Bradley
- Best Vlogger — Brad Owen
- Best Event — WSOP Main Event
- GPI Award of Merit — Maria Konnikova
- GPI Breakout Player — Johan Guilbert
- Fan’s Choice: Best Hand — Doug Polk’s fold against Phil Helmuth on High Stakes Poker
- Best Podcast — James Hartigan and Joseph Stapleton, “Poker in the Ears”
- Best Industry Person — Matt Savage
- Players Choice for Toughest Opponent — Ali Imsirovic
- Best Media Content: Video — Remko Rinkema
- Fan’s Choice: Poker Personality — Masato Yokosawa
- Best Streamer — Ben Spragg
- Best Broadcaster — Jeff Platt
Many of the winners celebrated the night with their fans through Twitter.
Here’s Veronica Brill and Jamie Kerstetter:
So @JamieKerstetter and i won some awards pic.twitter.com/2SMubtPEVy
— Veronica Brill (@Angry_Polak) February 19, 2022
Winner Joe Stapleton had a blast and gave credit to the hosts:
Also this year’s GPI Awards ceremony was the best it’s ever been. Stellar work by the entire @PokerGO crew, hosts @jeffplatt & @DreaRenee_N, and all the presenters and recipients. Such a smooth production I always missed doing the job. 😂
— Joe Stapleton (Stapes.eth gm, gm fine!) (@Stapes) February 19, 2022
Fantastic writer Lance Bradley:
Thanks to everybody who reached last night and this morning after the @gpi awards. A of your support means the world to me and I promise you that I’ll keep writing.
This was – BY FAR – my favorite photo of the night.
📷 Adam Pliska pic.twitter.com/OsT8DfibDw
— Lance Bradley (@Lance_Bradley) February 19, 2022
And Matt Savage popped on Twitter to give props to the WSOP’s Jack Effel:
Won @GPI Best Industry Person and admittedly didn’t have my best year as it was a tough one as it was for many others. Truly believe @JackEffel deserved to win for colossal @WSOP effort. I promise a better 2022 and @SportingNews will be a big part of that! https://t.co/TNHQvPqsAD pic.twitter.com/UIt7o09xeG
— Matt Savage (@SavagePoker) February 19, 2022
Bob Pajich is a poker news reporter, creative writer, and poker player who never met suited connectors he didn’t like.
Share this story