Man Sentenced to Life in Prison after Shooting his Friend while Playing Poker

Man Sentenced to Life in Prison after Shooting his Friend while Playing Poker

28 Mar

A man from the Denver region was sentenced to life in prison after he shot and murdered a family friend during a poker game on Christmas Day in 2019. 38-year-old Curtis Davis-Barnes has been found guilty of first-degree murder in the death of 39-year old Aarion Derritt, whom Davis-Barnes killed at a Christmas Eve party that went wrong.

NEWS RELEASE: East Kansas Place Homicide #APDNews

— Aurora Police Dept (@AuroraPD) December 25, 2019

Davis-Barnes was sentenced to life in prison on February 18 by Arapahoe District Court Judge Darren Vahle, who handed down the sentence immediately after the jury found him guilty of murder. The court charged Davis-Barnes with several felonies in connection with the death, including first-degree murder, which resulted in a life sentence in Colorado, the obligatory term for first-degree murder convictions.

Among the charges against Davis-Barnes were aggravated robbery, felony menacing, and criminal possession of a financial gadget, all of which were about stolen identification documents.

Davis-Barnes was sentenced to 32 years in prison, three years, and one year on each count. Because a first-degree murder conviction does not automatically confer eligibility for parole, Davis-Barns may probably die in jail for the poker-related murder.

“Mr. Derritt, by all accounts, did nothing to antagonize the defendant.” “He did nothing to provoke a fight or inspire violence,” stated Jason Siers, Chief Deputy District Attorney, Arapahoe County Chief. “He was playing a game and was shot to death just as he was about to go home and enjoy Christmas.”

Derritt’s execution occurred at a Christmas Eve party at a residence in Aurora, Colorado, east of Denver. Towards the late hours of the night, some of the party’s guests made their way to the basement to play poker and shoot dice. Davis-Barnes was the game’s biggest loser in a subsequent couple of hours, whereas Derritt was up approximately $700.

At about 2 a.m., an enraged Davis-Barnes returned from upstairs with a handgun. Davis-Barnes then shot Derrit many times in the body and once in the skull. Davis-Barnes subsequently stole money from Derrick’s pockets and fled the scene, only to be apprehended several days later. At the time, local news sources published features assisting police in locating and arresting the believed murderer.

Derritt was declared dead at the spot, and the search, which included a depiction of Davis-Barnes’ car, was launched immediately.

It is not the only shooting incident that began as a casual poker game. Identical tales from throughout the globe are reported continuously in the press. Last year, Charquan Edwards, from New York state, was convicted of fatally shooting an 83-year-old player in a nosebleed stakes poker game in 2015.

Did you like this article?